Saturday, August 23, 2014

Rainbow madness and making boys' sewing patterns girly

Boys really get the short end of the stick when it comes to sewing, don't they? Not only are there 1940370247395 more patterns out there for girls compared to boys, I am going to show you how I took perfectly acceptable masculine patterns and made them *girly*!

I'm a mom of a little boy too, so if you've ever despaired of finding cute boy patterns, make sure you check out the BundleUp sale going on right now at Pattern Revolution (link to the sale in their blog post). They have some amazing patterns for boys in the sale (and yes, girls too)!

I was able to test one of the patterns in the sale, the Honor Roll Raglan Henley by Fishsticks Designs. Fishsticks has awesome patterns in both knits and wovens and I love that they now feature both nested AND un-nested sizing! Since I am usually printing some of the smallest sizes, this saves a ton of paper and makes it easy to cut out. This henley pattern is a quick and simple sew but the button detail really adds a little extra fun and makes it different from a typical raglan. Unfortunately my son is super picky and runs screaming (literally) at the thought of wearing anything with buttons, so who heroically stepped in for me? My sweet 2 year old, who will gladly wear anything, especially if it features rainbows.



You may notice that she is wearing rainbow shorts as well, and that is may or may not contrast magnificently with the rainbow shirt. When we were selecting her wardrobe choices, she very firmly informed me that "rainbow shirt goes with rainbow shorts" and that was that.

The shorts, incidentally, are also a Fishsticks design, the Sand and Sidewalk Boardwalk shorts (found here). Another pattern for boys that I so delightfully feminized! Instead of the double stitching the pattern calls for, I tried out one of those woefully underused stitches on my machine.



But, just so you don't think my poor son is underrepresented, I did make him a few pairs of these board shorts too! I love how the knee patches give you an opportunity to use several contrasting fabrics.



My kids have a great eclectic sense of style, don't they? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment